A few years ago I was doing some research for my, then, job as curator at Rebel State Historic Site (Marthaville, LA) for a military display and stumbled across a passing mention of a Confederate States Marine Corps, but couldn't find much information about it. Recently I visited a US military website which had a link to some rather sparse info on the CSMC, which in-turn led me to find other info on the Wikipedia. According what I've found out, the CSMC was modeled after the USMC and had an officer corps comprised mostly of former USMC officers, but the Commandant of the CSMC, Col. Lloyd Beall, was a former US Army paymaster with no Marine experience. I discovered that the reason for so little info on the CSMC is that according to Col. Beall, all documents were destroyed per the orders of the CS Secretary of the Navy to keep them from falling into the hands of Union Soldiers. As such any information on the CSMC is sporadic at best.

I 'magine this doesn't appeal much to Marines not from the South, but one thing that stands out in my mind from the History "classes" from Boot is that little was mentioned at all about US Marine involvement in the War Between The States; the DI conducting the class breezed over that whole period, with a brief mention of one sentence. I kinda guessed that maybe since the period (1861-1865) is such an emotionally charged topic that it is better to avoid it all together. Also, I seem to recall, at best, a short paragraph in the Knowledge that had no more than 2 or 3 sentences. When I did some research on my own I discovered that US Marine activity during the WBTS was just as undistinguished as that of the CSMC, so perhaps the real reason little attention was paid to it at the Boot history "classes" is because there wasn't anything to mention.